Another project completed. I've already CO for another beret. Love this pattern. I will be back to post pictures of me modeling my new beret (that will require some unusual photog skills).
Name of Pattern:
Meret Beret or Mystery Beret
This pattern was the “Mystery Beret for November 2008 (Ravelry). This pattern can be made more slouchy by knitting one or two extra lace repeats - one extra repeat will make a regular slouch beret, two extra repeats will make it really slouchy!
Sizes: S (18”), M (20”), and L (22”)
Finished sizes: S (16”), M (17.75”), and L (19.5”)
I knitted a size Large.
Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Denim Twist
I used slightly less than 1 skein of yarn.
18 sts/4 inches and 24 rows in Stockinette stitch
I was on gauge with #7 needles.
Knitting Tools Used:
Circular Needles: 16 inch in size 7 (CO and ribbing)
Circular Needles: 24 inch in size 7 (body of beret and start of decrease)
DPNs: size 7 (for decrease/knitting the crown)
Bent-tip tapestry needle for weaving in ends
Techniques I used:
S2KPO (slip one, knit two together, and pass over the slipped stitch)
Changes I Made to the Pattern:
I added an extra lace pattern repeat to make the beret more slouchy. Total of 3 lace repeats were knitted.
What I Like About this Pattern:
It’s a quick and easy pattern. Enjoyed knitting the lace pattern of the body. The pattern came with different sizes and also had notes on making the beret more slouchy.
What I Dislike About this Pattern:
Nothing to dislike.
My Pattern Rating (Beginner, Easy, Intermediate, Hard):
I really enjoyed knitting this beret. Next version will be knitted in a solid color, so 1) I can see what I’m knitting and 2) to see the lace pattern better.
I’ve blocked the beret using an 11 inch dinner dish. I pulled the beret over the dinner dish, rearranging the center of the hat with the center of the plate. I also made sure not to stretch out the brim of my hat and let it relax over the center of the plate. I sprayed water from my mister over the hat to get it damp (top and underside of the plate). I sat the plate over a small can of diced tomatoes and let it dry overnight. You could also use a soup can as a prop. ;)
I’ve already cast on another version in a Ruby River color. I plan on knitting a 4 lace repeat to give this beret a really slouchy, slouchy look. Of course, I hope I have enough yarn.