Friday, October 15, 2010

I've Signed Up for Some Knitting Classes


For the last two-plus years, I've had a fun adventure in learning and teaching myself to knit. It's time for me to turn over a new leaf.

One of my favorite LYS is offering some exciting knitting classes. There were several classes that caught my eye and I managed to narrow my list down to three important ones: Button and Buttonhole Bands, Seaming, and Continental Knitting. The first two skills, I've had the chance to practice on my own. Now, I'm going to refine those skills by learning new techniques. The Button and Buttonhole Bands class will come in handy as I'm in the midst of working on My Favorite Cardigan which has button down front. I've already knitted the button band and I've put the buttonhole band on hold to see if I learn something new from class. I'm sure I will.

I've had a lot of practice with seaming, but I feel my seaming techniques are just average. Looking forward to techniques that I'm missing.

The third class, Continental Knitting, is something I've always wanted to learn. I'm an English knitter...I throw my yarn to knit a stitch. I've tried to teach myself the Continental way and it just doesn't feel natural. Go figure. I learned to be a proficient crocheter before becoming a knitter. Hopefully, something will "click" in this class or I'll have an "ah ha!" moment.

So, it's time for me to learn from a knitting master or two. My first knitting classes and I can't wait for them to start. I'm off to complete my homework projects/assignments before the classes begin. I'll be back over the next few weeks to post what I've learned.

Happy Knitting!

No comments: