Thursday, January 21, 2010

Little Strawberry & Blueberry Baby Hats-Completed


** Updated to include the Strawberry Hat **

The Little Strawberry & Blueberry Baby Hats:







Pattern: Leaf Top Baby Hat by Michele Sabatier
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease in Violet and Cactus
Needles: US 7 & 8 (16” circs) and #8 DPNs
Amount: Less than 100 yards of yarn used
Mods: No changes were made

Comments/Conclusions: This is my first attempt at knitting with two colors. If you recall, this is one of my knitting goals for 2010. I spent several months looking for an easy two color knitting project. Lo and behold, I came across a great pattern and a cool baby gift to give to a friend. There are times when I try to over-analyze a technique. This was one of them. I decided to “just do it” and see what happens.

Here, you can see how I stranded the two colors. When color #1 required 7 stitches, I took color #2 and did simple twist (WS) with color #1 (after the 4th stitch) and continued with color #1. That way, the color #2 strand wouldn't be carried for more than 4 stitches. This helped shorten the long strands of yarn.






This is a versatile hat. You can actually roll the brim more to have the hat sit above the ears or roll the brim less to cover the ears. This has been the easiest and quickest knitting project. If I had the time to knit this in one sitting...it would take me at most 5 hours.

This baby hat is knit up in stockinette stitch, two color knitting at the start of the crown, K2tog for decreases or crown shaping, and then knitting an i-cord. It’s a fun knitting project that will keep your interest from start to finish. I highly recommend knitting this rewarding project.

I have one more hat to knit and then I’m off to search for another two- or even a three-color knitting project.




No comments: