I thought I would do a post before heading off to work. I am way behind in my knitting reviews and live model pictures. When I have a good hair day, I will be back to post those pictures.
In the meantime, here's my review on my Denim Cabled Vest:
Name of Pattern:
Cabled Vest from the Tahki Yarns Terra Collection, Spring/Summer 2008
Cropped sleeveless lace vest with cabled fronts.
Small (38), Medium (42), Large (44-1/2), & XLarge (48-1/2)
I made a size Small.
Plymouth Yarn Fantasy Naturale in Denim Tweed color. This is 100% mercerized cotton yarn. I used less than 4 hanks of this yarn (140 yards each).
This yarn splits a bit. It's also a bit heavy.
18 sts = 4 inches in lace pattern stitch pattern
Knitting Tools Used:
- Circular needles: 40 inch in size 8
- Cable needle (size 8)
- Stitch markers to mark beginning of armholes
- Yarn/tapestry needle with bent tip
- 4 buttons - 5/8 inch (right now it's optional)
Techniques I used:
- Long tail cast on
- K2,P2 ribbing
- M1 - used M1R and M1L to knit the increases along the sides
- K2tog & SSK - to knit the decreases along the front edges
- CB4F and CB4B (cable stitch patterns)
- BO in pattern
Changes I Made to the Pattern:
Instead of knitting 8" before BO at the front placket, I knitted 9". Just like the previous version I made.
No buttonholes were knitted. Ooooops, I forgot to knit them.
What I Like About this Pattern:
A challenging knitting project. Still challenging the second time around.
What I Dislike About this Pattern:
Nothing to dislike
My Pattern Rating (Beginner, Easy, Intermediate, Hard):
Intermediate. There's a lot of challenging moments, especially with the front pieces.
Another version of this fabulous cabled vest pattern. This denim tweed yarn is a beauty.
I did have some knitting issues on this second version. It was all operator errors. I really wanted to knit this 2nd version, but I had so many other projects on the needles vying for my time and many distractions that I wasn't as focused as I should have been.
I forgot to knit the buttonholes on the front right. For now, I'm leaving the vest plain and wearing it open. I have receive many helpful suggestions from fellow knitters that I'm thankful for. I'm sure one of the suggestions will be used.
When I was seaming/attaching the front pieces at the shoulders, I had reversed the left and the right. I didn't realize it until I had finished the seams and looked at the garment. My front plackets were now at the sides and my armholes were in the middle of the vest. *Sigh*
I had done an excellent job of weaving in the ends, that I could not find the ends. I ended up pulling/stretching the shoulder seam (RS) and clipped the sewing yarn in the middle of the shoulder. For beginner knitters, I don't recommend doing this as you may end up cutting the wrong yarn. It took me awhile to undo the seams, but as you can see I was able to fix my major problem.
All these major and minor errors happened in the late morning hours when I was tired. That could mean only one thing. Do most of my knitting from 5am-9am.
I'm glad I'm done with this project and I have a vest to wear into the upcoming Fall months. It's one of my transitional garments. It's also machine washable. ;)