Saturday, April 11, 2009

Shrug This #4 - Completed


My 4th version of Shrug This. The color is gorgeous!


I had to post another review on this shrug. Mostly, because of this wonderful yarn I used, which changed the shape and size of this "one size fits all" shrug. Read on and enjoy!

Name of Pattern:
Shrug This

Designed by:
Toni Kayser Weiner (from the One Skein Wonders book)

Pattern/Garment Description:
Shrugs are all the rage and with this loosely knit version (three stitches per inch) you'll be able to "shrug" off the time investment. This shrug is worked from the neck down and there's no sewing required.

Size(s):
One size

Yarns Used:
Malabrigo Aquarella in Yi color (blues). Used less than 5 hanks of yarn.

Gauge:
Roughly 2.5 stitches/inch.

Knitting Tools Used:
Circular needles: 40 inch in size 13 needle. I really did need this long length circular

Techniques I learned/used:
Long tail cast on
Yarn over (YO)
Knitting from the top down
Raglan sleeves
Lengthen the body

What I Like About this Pattern:
Quick and easy to knit. Pattern can be easily lengthened.

What I Dislike About this Pattern:
Nothing to dislike.

My Pattern Rating (Beginner, Easy, Intermediate, Hard):
I rate this pattern as Easy. A beginner with some basic knitting experience could tackle this project.

Conclusion/Additional Comments:
Okay, so this is my 4th version of this shrug. This time I used a super bulky wool yarn. This Malabrigo Aquarella yarn is a combination thick and thin yarn. I love the texture this yarn produced. This color is so beautiful and so intense. My version has medium and light blue, indigo, and teal.

Also, with using this super bulky yarn, my shrug came out slightly larger overall. I can bring both fronts together and overlap. Meaning, I have more room in the bust area. I'm thinking of adding two buttons one on each side and knitting a toggle out of yarn. I'll be going through my button stash to see if I have anything unusual that will work.

I shortened the shrug by two rows before I knitted the ribbing for the sleeves. Otherwise, the underarm would have been too long.

I lengthened the body to hit my high hip area. This version feels more like a jacket on me.

This is now my favorite version. Will I make more? Most likely. There are a lot of fabulous yarn out there to try. As with my sewing, I tend to make several versions of a TNT (tried 'n true) pattern. I see I'm doing the same with this shrug pattern.


Side profile. There's more room in the bust area.


Back side


Close up view. The results of using thick and thin yarn.


1 comment:

Trina said...

It looks lovely, the colour is amazing! I think buttons and toggles sounds like a good idea :)