Thursday, March 26, 2009

Quick Knit Shell - Completed



This shell has been sitting on my sewing/cutting table for some time. Waiting for its side seams to be sewn. Some of you will remember that when stuff starts hibernating on my cutting table, no sewing gets done.

My vehicle is in the shop for repair all day and it's been raining...I thought I might as well get this done and off the table and write up my review.

Here's my review of this lovely shell:

Quick Knit Shell (Ann Norling) by Sandi Rosner. Patons Shetland Chunky in Sea Ice.



Name of Pattern:
Quick Knit Shell (Ann Norling)

Designed by:
Sandi Rosner

Pattern/Garment Description:
Formerly known as the "Bulky Knit Sleeveless Top", this easy sweater will be a wardrobe staple. Can be knitted in cotton for a summery shell or in soft wool to ear under a jacket in colder weather. Great first sweater for the beginner. More experienced knitters will find it a good blank canvas to fill with your choice of stitch patterns or color work.

The shell is designed to fall at the high hips and close fitting armholes so bra straps won't show.

Size(s):
36" to 52" (36, 40, 44, 48, 52)

I casted on for a size 36 inch.

Yarns Used:
Patons Shetland Chunky Tweed in color Sea Ice. This is a light blue tweedy yarn with a bright sheen. Wonderful to knit with.

I used 4 skeins to to make the size 36 inch.

Gauge:
3.75 stitches per inch using size 10 circulars using the Patons Shetland Chunky Tweed yarn.

Knitting Tools Used:
Circular needle: 24 inch Size 8 for the bottom borders, armholes, and neckline.
Circular needle: 24 inch Size 10 for the body of the shell.
Stitch markers when I'm approaching decreases (personal reminder).

Techniques I used/learned:
Moss stitch for the borders.
How to smoothly bind off when two RS rows use BO (armhole areas).
When to use SSK and k2tog for neck shaping.
Picking up stitches.

What I Like About this Pattern:
I love this pattern. Actually, in general, I'm loving Ann Norling's patterns. Her patterns contain several gauges (e.g. 3.5, 4 & 4.5 sts = 1 inch) and instructions for each of the gauges. Also, includes the total yardage needed. So, one could easily use available yarns from their stash or substitute inexpensive yarns (sign of the times) and start knitting this shell.

The instructions were easy to follow.

This pattern came with a 4x6 photo of the garment displayed on the front sheet.

This pattern gives you the option of a round neck or a turtle neck version.

Suggested yarns included Crystal Palace Meringue, Party and Bamboozle.

What I Dislike About this Pattern:
Nothing to dislike at all.

There is a slight error in the pattern. For the front piece, you're suppose to BO of 7 stitches and then BO another 7. Well that comes out to 14 stitches, when I had 15 stitches. I easily corrected the error.

My Pattern Rating (Beginner, Easy, Intermediate, Hard):
I do rate this as Easy, but a beginner could easily give this a try.

Conclusion/Additional Comments:
Did I mention that I love this pattern? I did spend a bit more for this pattern, but well worth it as it includes several gauges and instructions for each gauge. It also includes the total yarn yardage you need with each gauge. Kind of takes the guess work out if a particular yarn will work or not.

The instructions are easy to follow and well written. It does assume you have some knitting experience and that you know how to decrease to the get the correct shaping.

Since I didn't use the recommended yarn, my gauge actually came out to 3.75 stitches/inch with this Patons yarn. As I was knitting the body of the shell, I noticed my width was larger than 18 inches. I estimated my finished bust area would be around 38 inches instead of the 36 inches. Not a problem, as I prefer my tops loose.

This is my first semi-fitted knitted garment.

Will I knit up another version of this shell? You bet! I would like to knit one up that's a little more close fitting. Depending on the yarn I use next, I may need to narrow/decrease the shoulder near the armhole area. I will also need to shorten the armhole length.

This pattern is definitely a keeper and will be my TNT pattern for years to come. Here are additional pictures:

Side view


Back view


Partial side/front view


2 comments:

Trina said...

Very nice! It looks like a lovely pattern :)

BIAN EMBROIDERY CHINA said...

Qiao-hand ah well, I also make handmade arts, communicate ......