Monday, July 20, 2009

Mini Book Review - The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques


Many times as I'm knitting a garment, I tend to forget the direction of the increases/decreases or which one is the best technique for the particular project I'm working on. Or which edging will work best for my garment.

I've uncovered another knitting book that I wanted to share with you:

The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancie Wiseman


This is another great reference book to add to the knitting bookshelf or for nightstand reading. The material is presented in a simple and easy to understand format. Plenty of diagrams to follow. I love the spiral bound binding as the book lays flat while your trying to knit and read/follow the example. This book is kept right along side of my two other reference books...the Knitting Answers book and the Knitter's Companion book.

Each chapter is presented with Benefits and Drawbacks section for the stitch or technique presented. Valuable and helpful information that gives insight into which cast on method to use, increase/decrease methods and which way the stitches look, selvages, bind offs, and different seaming techniques. Also, included is information on how to pick up stitches (valuable!), knitting borders/bands/finishes, and buttonholes.

If I had to take one reference book with me in my knitting bag, it would be this book. It summarizes a lot of basic knitting techniques that I have and would use in a hand knitted garment.

Book: The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
Author: Nancie Wiseman
Publisher: Martingale & Company
Publication Year: 2002
Pages: 144
ISBN: 978-1-56477-452-1
Retail: $24.95


2 comments:

Jasmine's Mommy said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

I'll have to put this book on my must buy list! I could of use this book while making my vesty!

Trina said...

Thanks for the review - I must keep an eye out for it at my local craft book shop :)