Friday, July 31, 2009

Knitting Reflections & Planning for the Next Season


Even though we're quickly approaching August (like right around the corner), my knitting thoughts are now focused into the next season. I love the cooler weather. I tend to get warm very easily. I will still be knitting a lot of short sleeved or 3/4 sleeved garments well into the Winter season. Even some lace garments will get knitted. That's my plan.

I have collected some wool yarns over the last year from closeouts, clearance bins, and sales. Mostly worsted weight and a few chunky yarns. I plan on looking at my spring/summer patterns and knit them into fall/winter garments using the wool that I have in my stash.

As fast as I'm trying to knit my summer garments, I know some will not get a chance to be casted on this year. Most of them will have to wait another 6 months before I think about them...again. I now need to focus on transitional garments in the appropriate colors and textures.

I've already ordered the Little Blue Sweater and the Lush & Lacy cardi and have the patterns in my hands. I ventured out today to another LYS with my friend, Sarah, and was not able to find the right bulky cotton blended yarn I needed for Little Blue. So, after doing a little stash diving, I came up with a merino chunky yarn that fits the bill. For Lush & Lacy, I plan on using Cotton Ease from my stash as well. At least one of the garments will be in a cotton blend.

I also plan on knitting another Shrug This! in a cotton blended yarn. I'm using Berroco Love It Colors (blue, sage, yellow, pink) yarn. It's a wild colored yarn and I hope I get the correct striping of colors instead of a pool of colors. We'll see. I will have to re-calculate the number of CO stitches based on the yarn I'm using which is worsted weight.

Oh, did I mention that Ravelry is using my three previous shrug pics on their main Shrug This! page? Way cool!

I also have a jacket called Tibet that's been sitting in my queue since I joined Ravelry. Yarn was purchased awhile ago and has been patiently waiting.

I have two scarves that I hope to get started in the next few weeks. One is a called a shoulder scarf that I hope to knit up with the Fiesta Rayon Boucle yarn. This will be a fast knit on large needles. The other is the Swirl Scarf that I mentioned a few posts back. This will be a nice long knitting project involving knitting in the round and picking up stitches using DPNs. I'm also looking into using the magic loop technique for this project.

I haven't started any major garment projects. I've been really, really good and knitting up my WIPs. We'll see how long that lasts.

3 comments:

Jasmine's Mommy said...

Lush n Lacy is my favorite cardigan! It will look great knitted with cotton ease.

Rachel said...

Congratulations on your garments being featured on Ravelry!!! It sounds like you have great things planned. I finally finished my sweater. It is currently drying after a handwashing. I will post it as finally finished on Ravelry and my blog soon.

Trina said...

Sounds like you're going to be a busy lady!